Create It, Promote It, Find It or Respond to It
Image via Wikipedia
Your duties as a blogger may get confusing after a bit. Initially, you may have started with a simple plan of posting every day and leaving 10 comments on other blogs each day. My little trip into blogging started that easily. Eventually you will run into a lot of things that may help your blog and you will try them out. I did that also. Wow, a little bit of extra work can go a long way. Then you get to the point that you can no longer categorize any of the activities you are involved in. But you know you can't finish them in the day and you constantly feel behind. And I don't think this is one point in your blogging. It is not a bridge you will pass and never come back to. It may show it's head a few times. It has for me. So let's say that you have picked a niche. And that's a good thing also. Wish I had done that here. But I have at other blogs. And let's say you know your subject matter. And you should. You picked it. All that being said, there are really only a few duties:
- Write a post on your blog.
- Write an article to submit to article sites.
- Write a report you can give away free.
- A lot of this comes natural via the next two duties and they may be all you need.
- Submit your blog to feed directories.
- Make sure you ping after every post.
- Use SEO
- Build profiles on social networks, forums, etc.
- Find stories and information related to your niche.
- Promote the stories like they were you're own on social networks, bookmarking sites and social news sites.
- Make yourself known for finding good information (and writing it).
Respond To It
- You can't always be the one to find the hot story, but you can get your name in there.
- Comment on other blogs.
- Comment and join the conversation at social sites.
- Link to stories from your own blog posts.
And during all of this, don't lose site of your niche or your goals. It can be easy to get caught up in the blogosphere and social media and forget why you are there. You could start out commenting on a post about increasing your subscribers and by the end of the day, evaluating the comedic value of lolcats. Breaking it down like this also only helps if you realize you must set time aside for each one of these duties. But at least there are less here than you began with.